In 2010 and 2011 I worked on elaborate “Year In Review” posts. In 2010 I had so much fun doing it; it was the best year I’ve had up until that point. I did so much more than ever before and I adored reminiscing about it this way. I had to push myself a little more last year to get the post done but it still turned out great. This year — despite getting engaged and running two sub-2:00 half marathons — no interest.
Instead, I’d like to discuss . . . I think they are resolutions? Goals? Things I’d like to do in 2013.
DSB 2013 Resolutions-ish
- Be less of a jerk. Back in February 2010, I made a resolution to not be an asshole. I failed. I accepted my failure because at least my heart was in the right place, right? This is the variation of that resolution. In other words, be friendlier. I am not a friendly person and it never really affected me until a few months ago. Andy and I were at an Amy Schumer show and we were seated at a table with another couple. Because I automatically assume that everyone is from NYC and hates me, I just ignored them. Then they started talking to us and I still wasn’t that nice in making conversation. When Andy started engaging them in conversation, I realized they were not from New York and therefore likely did not automatically hate me, and were actually nice people. And they were, they were very nice! And then I felt like a jerk for ignoring them at first and not being super friendly until later on, thus proving the New Yorkers stereoptype I was trying to protect myself against in the first place. So, try to be nice, don’t assume everyone hates me, don’t ignore people. I still plan to be a jerk to those who deserve it.
- Get hot for wedding. This means finding a way to get to Refine midweek while they currently lack a Union Square/downtown location. Even if I have to waste absurd amounts of time between work and class and then get home at 10pm, or if I have to wake up at some ungodly hour in the morning despite the PATH train still not being fixed after Sandy, I need to find a way to make the midweek class work – even if it’s just once a week. Alternatively, I could suck it up and stop being such a pussy about CrossFit and buy a class pack and just go there since it’s right down the block from my apartment. Speaking of CrossFit, I owe you a review of the 6-class fundamentals program + 2 regular classes Andy and I did together. I’ve got bruises on my legs, lashes on my arms and missing skin on my butt to show for it.
Did I mention “not being a jerk” extends to getting up timely reviews of places nice enough to extend a free class? I’m looking at you Work It Out and Revolve.
- Train for a marathon like a real runner person. I trained according to the mileage on my plan last time, but this year I want to train more seriously with jargon such as “speed work” “tempo run” and “hill repeats.” Ideally I’d like a coach or some type of coaching program and I might already have something in the works. TWT kids. TWT.
- Run a 4:15 marathon. This goes with the above but it deserves its own bullet because even if my training ends up sucking, this time is still my goal.
- Run in the cold maybe once a week. Let’s not get crazy here, I’m thinking maybe once every other week, or once every week and a half if I can’t do every week. I bought warm weather running clothes from my favorite store Lucy that were heavily on sale, cozy and comfy. Actually, they were full price when I bought them but then they were heavily on sale less than a week later so I did a little re-buying and returning. Either way, I have cozy warm fleece lined pants, a matching jacket and matching hat. I wore them once and I’d like to see a repeat performance in 2013.
- Suck it up and run on the treadmill. For when the cold is just too cold.
- Wear sweats to work and shower less often. Self explanatory.
- Do girlfriend things. Not to be confused with fiancee or wife things, both of which I will do in 2013. For some reason sometimes a girl likes me and wants to be my friend. I never understand why as I do nothing to encourage such behaviors. But I figure I might as well give in. So, hi Ashley Runningbun. You’ll probably see a little more of me in 2013. Maybe we’ll run. And drink Bloody Marys.
- Get drunk at my wedding without getting painful hiccups. I don’t know how exactly I plan to accomplish this but it’s a goal.
- Get a dog. So something will love me.
That’s all I’ve got this year. Do you think I will accomplish them all? I don’t.
What do you want to do in 2013?